President George H. W. Bush signed the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) into law on July 26, 1990. It was the first comprehensive civil rights law for people with disabilities. It prohibited employment discrimination and required access to public facilities, transportation, and telecommunications.
To show your commitment to the ADA, you can sign the pledge at the nationwide ADA Anniversary website.
Celebrate with Us!
We had our ADA celebration on Saturday, July 25, 2015, from 11 am to 2 pm, at Hilyard Community Center, 2580 Hilyard St, Eugene, OR 97405.
- A parade with special guests Samba Ja and the “Raining” and Old Slug Queens
- Breaking the Sound Barrier Deaf and Hard of Hearing Choir
- “The ADA Skit”
- ADA “Hall of Justice” Historical Display
- Assistive technology information
- ADA information
- Light refreshments
- Door prizes and free ADA 25th Anniversary items